Registration with the municipality

If you will stay in the Netherlands for more than four months, then you need to register with the local authorities, also called the municipality. If you are going to live at student campus Uilenstede, you need to register at the municipality of Amstelveen.

More information about registering with the municipality can be found here.

Required documents

  • Passport or European ID card. A driver's license is not sufficient. 
  • Printed rental agreement for your Dutch address: showing this on your cell phone is not sufficient. If you do not have a rental agreement then you must bring a written statement of approval signed by the main tenant and a copy of his/her passport.
  • Declaration of Registration (DoR) from VU Amsterdam. This declaration is available from the moment you are registered at our university, and can be collected digitally via the 'Complete registration' page in VUnet.

There are some optional documents required, based on your situation. For more information, see here.